The Rezcoast Grizz Story & Interview

 



William Driftwood Jr., known professionally as Rezcoast Grizz, is a Native American rapper, singer, song-writer & online personality from the Apsaalooké (Crow) Nation.  His music ranges from rap to indy-pop and R&B to emo-punk.  He is known for his live stage show and vibrant style, which resonates with younger audiences and makes him a standout among his peers. His music is infectious and hits you in the chest with melody, emotion, soul & gut-wrenching truth.
 
Rezcoast Grizz gained early online recognition from Adam22 of No Jumper in 2019 for his debut single “One Hundred Hells.” Adam22’s YouTube reaction video resulted in hundreds of thousands of views and a large social media following.  



 
In May 2019, Rezcoast Grizz released his debut EP, “Unwell” and follow up single, “Loner,” which further boosted his following.

In February 2020, Rezcoast Grizz released his single “Water,” which has since gained over 4.1 Million Views and got the attention of several YouTube personalities, including Tommy Craze & Patrick CC who have all praised and championed his music. 

After Water, Rezcoast Grizz was courted by several major labels and distributors, but Grizz felt that EQ Distribution, an Independent upstart backed by Roc Nation & Jay Z, was the perfect fit. 
 “They believed in the vision and loved the thought of a Native Music Artist doing something that has never been done before.  They don’t put their brand over mine and embrace me being me,” says Rezcoast Grizz.
 
Rezcoast Grizz continues build a dedicated fan base and triggers huge engagement with every release.  





A D V E R T I S E M E N T
Contact LS Prints for great quality custom Printing!




Interview


1.How long have you been doing what you're doing and how did you get started in the first place?
 
16 years old is when I first started writing and recording. I have two hometown friends Djay Tillman and Ira Dust who I used to make music with. After that, I couldn’t stop. 14 years of writing sounds like a long time. But it’s only been like two years since I've been doing this professionally. 

2.What song of yours has been the most personal to you and why?
 
After having a good conversation with my friend and manager Kills, I wrote this record called “Water.” It’s a song that sort of wrote itself. There was no battle for the next line. It was one of those magical moments we artists have so often. It was everything it needed to be. It was a statement, a goodbye, and spiritual release all in one. It was written for my late brother Leslie Frank Nomee Jr. and Ka’lla Georgia Not-Afraid. I miss them dearly every day. So it’s good medicine to listen to that song every so often.



3.In your opinion who is the most influential and successful artist in your genre?
 
Kanye West & Blink 182 has to be the answer. My roots in the genres that I love the most are Hip-Hop & Pop-Punk.


 
4.Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
 
I’d love to be doing this til I’m old. I’d love to be like one of those rap groups or rock bands who tour til their bones fall off the meat.
 
5.How do you separate yourself from other artists?
 
I don’t think about that. It’s not a competition or a race for me. The idea of separation for me is dividing myself from the people. Music is music. There's enough space for all of us. 
 
6.Who has been your biggest support throughout your journey as an artist?
 
God. My Team. My Family. My love. You will never understand how much love and support I get from my peoples. 


 
7.What aspect of the music making process excites you most and what aspect discourages you the most?
 
It’s like a tornado dude. It’s frustration and happiness wrapped in a blanket of “what is happening?!” It feels like I blackout and I wake up and the song is done. Hopefully that answers that. haha.
 
8. What was your inspiration behind your album "Gallery"?
 
When I was writing the album, I had many conversations with my team and family. While listening to it as it was being written and recorded, I realized that it was very mixtape-y… very jam band-y. It goes where it wants. To me, it has this living and breathing quality; like it was painted by different artists. Much like a… Gallery. You go into these art showcases and you look at every different painting. All different. All in their own world.
 That is what Gallery is: an actual gallery in the mind of a guy who has a million different lives that were lived.
 
9. If you can describe your fans in one word what would it be and why?
 
Rezzy. They Just Rezzy. Self-explanatory 



 10.What artists would you like to work with in the future and why?
 
I’m tryna get in the studio with Thugger and Lars from Rancid. I love their voices. 
 
11.What do you hope to accomplish in 2022?
 
To continue servicing my following and keep my mental and spiritual health at an all time high.
 
12. How did your name Rezcoast Grizz come about?
 
It’s been my name since I was born. Rezcoast came along later. Maybe I’ll tell the whole story in the future. Like when I’m hella old. Or on my deathbed would be rad! Hella dramatic! Whisper it in my future sons or daughters ears as I get ready to go to walk in Glory. Lifetime movie stats!



 
13.How would you like to be remembered at the end of your career?
 
A rez kid with some good songs and a hardcore love for God.
 
14. What has been a great challenge in your music career and how did you overcome it?
 
Dude, I’ve been blessed and highly favored. So, no complaints… Wait. It’s annoying to think we have to constantly remind people that I can’t speak for all natives. And it’s wack when they try to make us seem like weak, poor little Indians. I don’t like that. I don’t rock with the side of the media that tries to use us as a tool. Not the vibe.
 
15. What's the craziest thing that has happened on tour?

TBD







Twitter @rezcoastgrizz
Tik Tok @rezcoastgrizz





Follow The SoulRiffic Magazine on Instagram for Music, News, Interviews and much more!

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview