The One Twenty Story & Interview

 




    What do you get when you take an artist from the Dirty South and drop him in the Japanese music scene? You get the commercial artist gone solo who goes by the name of OneTwenty. Coming from Brunswick, GA. home of the late Ahmaud Arbery, OneTwenty is an artist who many say, sounds like 10 different people. His roots lie in Opera and Hip-hop but through the years many influences have created the sound you hear today.



 His genres are Hip-hop, Pop, EDM, as well as many other collaborative sounds with Japanese record companies, F.A.R.M. Records. Currently OneTwenty is located in Tokyo Jp. A few of his influences are Bruno Mars, Drake, Kid Cudi, The Weeknd, as well as many old school artists such as Bill Withers and Otis Redding. One Twenty is truly an artist to watch for in 2021.






Interview

1.Where are you from and how would you describe your city?

I’m from Brunswick, Georgia but I’m based in Tokyo. I feel like I live in an anime or something. Tokyo is like New York with more neon and people who are a different kind of unique.

2.Who has been your greatest support throughout your journey as an artist?

Of course my family and friends have always supported my music throughout the years. But really, I would have to say my wife has and is my greatest support. She inspires me musically and has even helped me write some of my latest songs. She’s really helped me discover myself as an artist and take my sound to a new level. She came from a corporate job and brought that level of professionalism to my music which has made a big difference for my music career.

3. At what age did you know you wanted to be an artist and how did you get started in the first place?

I must have been 12 years old. I got started from being involved in performance from an early age, I remember memorising pages and pages of lines which was difficult for me since I have ADHD, but I still found performing to be extremely rewarding. I used to do a lot of plays in church and school. My grandma encouraged me to do poetry at home as a kid and that got me interested in rap. Growing up, my father wasn’t present in my childhood, but when we did connect, I discovered my dad was a rapper and it led to a closer bond between us. We still talk about music a lot and he gives me a lot of advice about being a musician in the hiphop industry.



4.In your opinion who is the most influential and successful artist in your genre and why?

Probably Drake. He changed the surface of R&B and Hip-hop music with his sound and he’s really branded his content as well. I remember him as Jimmy in the wheelchair but it’s crazy how he’s become a leading tastemaker in the R&B and Hip-hop industries.

5.So what are your current thoughts on the music industry?

I think it’s constantly morphing. It’s now possible for an artist to produce their own content without the support and backing of a label and I think that’s dope. The shift to sharing music digitally has really changed the game in the sense that anyone can become an overnight viral sensation. I think a lot of us are chasing that high. It’s funny because even though it’s never been easier to produce and share your music with the world, it is simultaneously much harder as we are competing in an ever saturated market of talented up and coming artists.

I also think that it is very easy to finesse the numbers in this day and age to simulate engagement, but I’ve seen the power of statistics and I try not to play into the numbers game.

6.How do you separate yourself from other artists?

My time in Japan has really influenced my sound. Of the many producers I have worked with, I’ve spent the most time crafting my sound with a Japanese producer in Tokyo. The advice he gives leans towards singing the song straight, without any vocal tricks. I still maintain my soulful roots from the South, but I am able to move between each style seamlessly, creating a unique sound that only I can emulate.



7. How do you stay motivated and continue your music as an artist?

There was a time that I seriously considered moving music to the back burner. I was struggling to find the resources and the engagement, but I realised I literally cannot stop making music. Something in me tells me I need to record music and tell a story through my songs. I don’t think I would be me if I didn’t continue making music. But there are days when it is a struggle to find the right words to a beat, or getting the creative juices flowing, lol. I like to take a break, play some games on my PS4 and hangout with my hedgehog.

 8.What aspect of the music-making process excites you most and what aspect discourages you the most?

I like the process of going through tracks to choose which one I’m going to make a song to. It’s always super exciting going through a beat pack with a fellow producer who matches my energy. I dislike the process of coming up with the last few lines to a verse. It can be difficult to watch a release flop on its face but I never get discouraged. It just means that I need to try harder.

9. What was your inspiration behind your song " Circles?"

I made it to express the feeling of doing a lot for someone. I had someone very special in mind and I wrote the song for them. Additionally, I had just gotten together with the producer Kameron Davell, who has really helped shape my sound. He made the beat for Circles especially for me, keeping my vocal and melodic range in mind. I am thrilled with the amount of love and support Circles has received in the past months since it’s release.



10.if you can describe your fans in one word what would it be and why?

Diverse.

Because I never know what sort of person might be listening to my music. I’ve met so many people through the military, my time in Japan and all over the states. Their feedback gives me a unique perspective and inspires me to write songs in both English and Japanese. One dude brought a bunch of flowers to a show and he was just super happy to see me. Interesting.

11.who would you like to work with in the future?

I would love to work with the Weeknd, A$AP Rocky, Wiz- Khalifa, Pharrell, Rae Sremmurd, Lizzo and Kid Cudi. They all have this cool vibe about them you know. The bad boy singers of my generation. I’m inspired by Daft punk and stuff like that so I think any one of these artists will appreciate where I’m coming from.

12. What advice would you give to upcoming artists who are trying to pursue their dreams?

Learn the business side of being a musician early so you’re in position to take advantage of any opportunities that may come. Don’t worry about what anyone says. Just practice your craft and learn the business.



13. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I have a dream of building my own multimedia studio. I want to build a big photography, videography, and music studio where people can come and complete an entire project from start to finish. I am actually halfway to reaching my dream studio! I do photography and videography when I’m not creating music. You can check out my photography and portfolio on instagram @lokyomultimediajp

14. What Albums, latest releases or singles are available to your fans and where can they be found?

My latest single Tora Tora (which means tiger tiger) releases on the 24th so look out for that on Spotify. It’s about being young and hungry out here. You know the feeling of going out with your crew and having a really good time. We’ve been working on the Tora Tora project since 2020, with so many talented professionals involved, we are so excited to show everyone what we’ve been working on! So keep your ears and eyes on the OneTwenty instagram and follow me on Spotify!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview