The Superstar Kay Story & Interview

 



Superstar Kay was born Christopher Richardson in February 1990 in Cleveland, OH. His interest in music was developed at an early age when he was encouraged by his aunt to sing in church. Initially music was literally just an interest, but fashion design was his passion. It wasn’t until he decided to try his attempt at producing when he found out he was really good at it and began to nurture that talent. He established Khyng-Jayden Productions in 2001 and was highly successful starting out. He later signed producers Akitak (Memphis, TN) and Chase (Houston, TX).

 In 2012 Superstar Kay moved to Valdosta, GA and established 937 Magazine, an online publication that catered to independent artist. After a year he decided to place 937 Magazine on hiatus and went back to focusing more on producing. To make himself more appealing as a producer he began writing and donating his voice for hooks. In 2015, he moved to Indianapolis, IN and opened The Shadow Gallery, and added engineering to his resume. In late 2016, after growing tired of mumble rap and meaningless lyrics being glorified, 

Superstar Kay decided it was time to emerge from behind the scenes and become a recording artist. His singles “Club Lights”, “Overtime”, and Pilots” have received a large number of plays and positive reviews. Since 2016, SuperStar Kay has released two studio albums (with the latest consisting of 60 tracks), seven playlists, and eight singles. SuperStar Kay was named “Artist of the Week” on NapRadio.com, was featured in Straight Official and NUTTS Magazines, and has been interviewed on a number of internet radio shows and podcasts. He has performed throughout his hometown of Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis. His music is available on all streaming platforms.







Interview


1. Where are you from and how would you describe your city?

A. I’m from Cleveland, OH. For the most part it’s a wasteland, but it’s my wasteland. Also, a land of opportunity for those who are willing to get out here and get it.

2.Who has been your greatest support throughout your journey as an artist?

A. While I have some real strong supporters, I would have to say my greatest supporter is my cousin and producer ChaqOnDaBeat AKA Big Chaq.

3. At what age did you know you wanted to be an artist and how did you get started in the first place?

A. I decided that I wanted to be a recording artist at age 26, however I got started in the music industry as a producer while still a teenager. In working with artists and experiencing music as a fan I thought that I could do what the others were doing and maybe better and started putting myself to the test.




4.In your opinion who is the most influential and successful artist in your genre and why?

A. I would have to say the most influential and successful artist has to be Drake. He constantly finds new ways to reinvent himself. In many ways I feel as if I’ve done the same, but without exactly mirroring myself after him, but definitely by adopting his ideology

5. Who would you like to work with in the future?

A. I would really like to work with some of my favorite artists like Future, Chris Brown, T-Pain; but really I’m open to work with anyone who has a high and incredibly solid work ethic.

6.How do you separate yourself from other artists?

A. I separate myself from other artists by the amount of work I put in. I work when everyone else is sleeping and do things that others won’t do. I’m constantly challenging myself to tap into different genres and styles of music. I write, produce, and record myself most of the time and in an effort to keep myself fresh I stay studying my crafts.  I make myself go the extra mile and add another mile putting distance between us.




7. How do you stay motivated and continue your music as an artist?

A. Staying motivated for me is relatively easy. I write about life experiences, so as long as I’m breathing, I have motivation.

8.What aspect of the music-making process excites you most and what aspect discourages you the most?

A. Not much really discourages me but performing is probably my least favorite thing because I have to go on stage and still deliver 100% even if I’m not in the mood. However, the interaction from the crowd feeds me the energy I need and makes it all worth it. Studio recording is my favorite part! It allows me to bring my ideas to come to life. It’s where I’m most comfortable and am able to fully be myself.

9. What was your inspiration behind your latest project "NIGHTFALL 3?"

A. Nightfall 3 is the third installment of a playlist series that allows me to connect with my roots. I’ve always done my Nightfall projects for the city of Cleveland and for the family more than anything else and this one is no different. I seek out production elsewhere that helps set the tone for each individual track and I add lyrics (either singing or rapping) that resonate with everything that’s “home” to me.




10. If you can describe your fans in one word what would it be and why?

A. If I had to describe my fans in one word, I would have to say “glorious”. They feed me energy on the regular, they inspire me and push me to go harder; especially in times where I want to quit. They’re very supportive and when this journey gets tough, they let me know that it ain’t over yet.

11. What advice would you give to upcoming artists who are trying to pursue their dreams?

A. To anyone out there pursuing any kind of dream just keep going regardless of what’s going on; every time you feel you want to stop go twice as hard. Believe in yourself and don’t let anyone else cause you to question your abilities. Specifically to artists; learn as much about this industry and your craft as you possibly can.

12. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

A. Lol! In 5 years…I see myself at the top with all of the big names. I’ve worked for that spot and by then I will have earned it.




13. What Albums, latest releases or singles are available to your fans and where can they be found?

A. I currently have 2 full albums, several playlists, and a number of singles out for my fans to enjoy. My music is available on most major platforms including Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon Music, iHeart Radio. Just search SuperStar Kay and it’s there.

 






 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview