The LT the Monk Story & Interview

 




Originally from London, UK, LTtheMonk first fell in love with hip-hop at just eight years old, when the music captivated his young ears and ignited what would become a lifelong passion. Blended with constant exposure to reggae (via his Jamaican mother) and rock (via his Irish father), LT’s adventurous love of music and performing onstage would only grow stronger.




That eclectic musical upbringing, coupled with discovering the music of Michael Jackson and becoming obsessed with the pop icon’s music and dancing in parallel with his foundational hip hop exposure, set LT off on a journey to becoming a musician himself. It’s also an intrinsic part of LT’s toolkit, with bantamweight Gene Kelly-meets-James Brown footwork and immaculate sport socks both indelible signatures of his persona as an entertainer.

Since moving to Hamilton, the city that he now proudly calls home, in 2017, LT has carved a reputation as a vibrant and compelling talent, and his standing is destined to grow with the release of his new album, “On The Wall”, out now on Sonic Unyon Records. The next step in his artistic evolution, the full-length honours ancestors even as it points toward alternate futures, and is further evidence of the artist’s ambition to push hip-hop forward.







Interview


1.Where are you from and how would you describe your city?

I'm originally from London, UK, but since 2017 I have called Hamilton in Ontario, Canada home, and I would describe the city as a true intersection of everything, every kind of artist, every genre of music, rich, poor, you'll find it all in Hamilton!

2.Who has been your greatest support throughout your journey as an artist?

My parents always, and my Dad as an English teacher especially has been supportive not only as a parent, but also as a lover of language. My friends who have shown belief in me since my early days, and now, my producers and bandmates, the whole team around me, and my manager Lisa, as they all see my goals and visions and want to do everything to make them happen!

3. At what age did you know you wanted to be an artist and how did you get started in the first place?

I think it was around age 6, I remember that my Dad would play old Bon Jovi cassettes in the car and I would say 'I want to be a singer', and I'd write songs and put on a little raspy rock voice to sing them (or at least a 6 year old's version of a raspy voice). But then about a year later when I discovered Michael Jackson, and then hip-hop music, that's when I said that I wanted to be a rapper and a dancer, and I started performing for all my little classmates at school!




4.In your opinion who is the most influential and successful artist in your genre and why?

I think across the history of hip-hop, it would either be Jay-Z, Eminem, Kanye West or Drake; Jay-Z for his true American hustler's tale of going from Marcy to becoming a billionaire, showing us that you can be an artist and a business mogul, and Eminem for going diamond for multiple albums, making so many people who might not have been exposed to hip-hop, fall in love with it worldwide. And then for Kanye and Drake, just their ultimate pop dominance, influencing the sound of so many artists, as well as again, bringing so many fans from outside of hip-hop culture into the genre.

5.who would you like to work with in the future?

I would love to work with some amazing producers like The Stereotypes, Kaytranada, and Bruno Mars' Shampoo Press & Curl production team. Any producers who can be my Quincy Jones (whose producer-artist bond with Michael Jackson led to the 'Off The Wall', 'Thriller' and 'Bad' albums), and work with me to make the kind of heavy rapping + dance music sound that I want to make on future albums (the kind of sound heard on the single 'DeVante' from my new album 'On The Wall').

6.How do you separate yourself from other artists?

I think mixing my heavy lyricism in verses with more catchy choruses, along with rapping over dance music instrumentals, and then dancing to them in videos and on stage when I perform with my band (comprised of keyboards, bass and drums), really sets me apart from other artists.




7. How do you stay motivated and continue your music as an artist?

I stay motivated as I have some very specific goals in my mind that I have to achieve! I want to be considered one of the Top 5 greatest MCs of all time, and I want to be one of the greatest performers of all time, and those 2 purposes keep me focused and working hard to achieve them!

8.What aspect of the music-making process excites you most and what aspect discourages you the most?

Hearing an instrumental that I just have to work with, and then going to write lyrics to it, excites me the most, and I don't think anything on the music-making side really discourages me, as if any part of it is difficult I really see it as a challenge to be overcome!

9. What was your inspiration behind your latest album "On The Wall?"

My inspiration actually links a lot back to what I said above in question 7. My favourite movie is Spike Lee's 'Do The Right Thing', and in the movie there is the key theme of the 'Wall of Fame' in Sal's Famous Pizzeria, which is the geographic centre of the movie's story. In the film the Wall is saved for Italian-American icons, but it made me think of the Walls of Fame that I want to be on as an artist one day, which are the Walls of Fame for Pop Music, Black Music, Art + Culture, and Hip-Hop Music. Combining this with the inspiration of the groove sound from Michael Jackson's 'Off The Wall', and the fact that that was his first big introduction to the music industry as an adult solo artist, which I want this album to be for me as well, and 'On The Wall' was truly born!



10.if you can describe your fans in one word what would it be and why?

Loving! They come out to all the shows and dance and really give themselves over to the energy that we bring to the performance, they're so kind when I see them in the street, and they always say such supportive things to show they believe in me, and where I'm going as an artist.

11. What advice would you give to upcoming artists who are trying to pursue their dreams?

If you have the talent to do it, and the work rate and persistence to succeed, then never give up. Never give up!

12. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 2026 I see myself touring with my band around the world, and releasing my best albums to make people around the world feel powerful, feel enlightened, and feel a higher sense of self as they enjoy my music.



13. What Albums, latest releases or singles are available to your fans and where can they be found?

My album 'On The Wall' just came out on Friday August 20th, and you can listen to it now on all streaming services, watch the 4 music videos that accompanied each of the album's singles on my YouTube channel, and buy a CD or vinyl copy on my website ltthemonk.com!















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview