The Teena Story & Interview

 



Offering her listeners an eclectic take on pop music, Teena (Teenatown) has stirred up plenty of buzz in the music community since her impressive 2019 debut “What If We Kissed”. Since then, her career has been moving at high speeds towards success, playing shows such as Hollywood’s “Viper Room” in 2020, Manhattan’s “Cutting Room” in 2021, and garnering over 175,000 streams all-time. Teena is constantly gaining new fans and listeners worldwide. Her new single "trials & tribulations" is due to be released on October 22nd, 2021. 


Inspired by a comprehensive selection of artists ranging from Hayley Williams and Miley Cyrus to eccentric performers like Caroline Polachek; Teena draws upon her truest roots to offer a multifaceted, indie pop-rock based sound. She is constantly evolving into the artist she aims to be, unravelling her artistic messages through a futuristic, avant-garde approach

Follow Teena on IG




Submit your music for radio play!


Interview


1.How long have you been doing what your doing and how did you get started in the first place?

 I wrote my first song when I was 15. I taught myself the D and G chords on guitar, and I naturally wrote my own melody about feeling lonely at such a young, vulnerable age. I was really having trouble fitting in with a group of friends, so creating art helped me process. 

I've been releasing music for 3 years. I started when I was in my freshman year of college at SUNY Fredonia. I would make little beats on Garageband. It helped me pass the time when I wasn't doing homework or hanging out with friends. It also really helped me process a breakup that was difficult to get over at the time


2.What was your inspiration behind your latest song "Flower Girl?"

 My latest song "flowergirl" holds a dual meaning. I always felt growing up that I didn't fit the standard role of what a "girl" was. I didn't want to always identify as a girl, and I didn't wanna box myself into that separate category all the time. I felt like it wasn't that simple. People always assume that I'm a cute little feminine "girl," but just because I appear feminine does not indicate that I automatically identify that way. Feminity is a universal concept. Why do people make this "one or the other" association based on appearance? It doesn't have to be that serious. I consider myself to be genderfluid by the way, and I go by the pronouns "she/they."

However, when I was also writing the track, I was going through a breakup. My ex kept coming back into my life to haunt me whenever she pleased. At the time, she was dating someone who had the name of a flower - hence, "I'm not your flower, girl." I wrote this song as an ode to my ex. I was subliminally asking for peace, reminding her that she has another person in their life to focus on - so she should stop hitting me up!


3.Who are your top 5 influences growing up?

Donna Summer, Adele, Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, and Caroline Polachek!

4.Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In 5 years, I want to have had at least one single signed or put in a major film or television. I also want to be successfully touring with a band - opening for major acts and playing major venues!

5.How do you separate yourself from other artists?

 Compared to other artists, I'm very eclectic. It's almost to my detriment in the sense of branding, because I can never conform to one genre. However, I see it as a strength. It means I'm malleable (so I'm told.) I also have a very unique and quirky persona that's pretty unmatched!

 6.Who has been your biggest support throughout your journey as an artist?

My best friend Andrew. He's come to so many of my shows, promoted my music to his own network of people, and he even created the cover art for my song "What If We Kissed?" He's constantly hyping me up and for that I'm extremely grateful.



7. What are some of your hobbies when your not writing or recording music?

I like to go to my other artist friends' shows in NYC. I also teach music lessons to young kids with disabilities. I love to draw little sketches as well. It passes the time and feels super therapeutic !!

8. How do you find inspiration when it comes to writing a song?

 A few different ways. Most frequently I'll have a melody pop up in my head. I'll then run and drop everything just to record it via voice memo. From there, I'll sit down with my guitar, piano, or midi keyboard and record the idea on logic pro. Once the instrumentals are down, I'll layer vocals over it. I'm most inspired when I'm heartbroken over something ending in my life. In the past it's been romantic relationships, friendships, and even working relationships too

9. If you can describe your fans in one word what would it be and why?

Loyal. They always engage with me on social media, and they're always waiting for the next track to release. They love to hype me up, and it's so cute. For that I'm so grateful!



 10.If you can choose 1 dream collab, who would it be and why?

Caroline Polachek hands down. She produces her own stuff and has such a unique, futuristic sound. I relate to the quirky, avant-garde image that she displays in her branding. She is one of a kind, and I think that our styles would match very nicely!

11.What do you hope to accomplish in 2022?

 In 2022, I wanna book & play consistent shows all over the US. I also want to secure some major placements for my music and start turning some heads in the industry. 

12. What advice would you give to someone who is trying to pursue their dreams as an artist?

Keep putting out music that is true and authentic to you. Don't let anyone derail your ideas. Don't be so trusting of people who claim they can help you. And don't be afraid to invest time and money if you want to make this happen for yourself



13.How would you like to be remembered at the end of your career?

 I want to be remembered as a flexible musician who's able to perform a multitude of genres. I also want people to remember me for my captivating on-stage persona. I don't want to be an artist in the spotlight, but I want people to be like "I know her - she's that artist with the really catchy song." you know, not SO in the public eye.

14. What excites you the most about the music making process and what discourages you the most?

Having facility over my own creative freedom is the most exciting part. The most frustrating part is being told that the industry wants me to abide by a certain standard in order to get recognition for my work - but I try not to let that phase me.

 15.If you could choose another profession besides music what would it be and why?

 I have a degree in music therapy, so most likely this! Being able to holistically use music to help people is an incredible thing.



www.TeenaTown.com

Teena has released a song called "trials & tribulations" which debut on October 22nd. Feel free to visit www.teenatown.com/trials to pre-save it! Also feel free to check out my website, www.teenatown.com for more info on my merch, tours, and new music














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview