The David Van Overeem Story & Interview

 



I love to cook, and I've been experimenting with sauces for years. I come from a very diverse background. My father was born in Indonesia, and was half Dutch, half Indonesian. My mother was a Latina American born in Los Angeles. From a young age I was able to taste flavors from both sides of the family. Now I find myself trying to recreate those flavors from my childhood, and create new recipes that I can pass on to my family.

My first daughter had just been born, and being an artist my whole life, it left me in the position of being a stay at home dad. I took my spare time to start experimenting with a passion of mine, flavor. That’s the focus of HAB, the endless possibilities of flavor and their compliments.


I’m so happy to have my whole family involved in our business. My wife and I designed the logo and branding. My brother Angel van Overeem does a majority of our design and label art. The entire family including Oma and Opa are rolling up their sleeves to help make HAB Sauce a success.

It’s been amazing how welcoming the sauce community have been, and the support of the family putting in time. We’re all so thankful for the support of our fans, and we can’t wait to keep bringing you innovative, artistic products.



A D V E R T I S E M E N T





Interview


1. What inspired you to develop your Hot sauce Brand "Hab Sauce?"

I was a stay at home dad after we had our first daughter. When it was time to go back to work, I decided I would try starting my own business instead. Having flexibility and not answering to multiple bosses was my inspiration.

2.what are some of the challenges you faced at the beginning of your business and how did you overcome them?

I didn’t know anything about properly bottling or what I needed to do to legally sell hot sauce. I did a lot of research and put a ton of time into what had to be done to get this started. I continue to learn as I go.

3.What are some of your strategies that were used to market your business?

Social media, word of mouth, and I went out and just started giving it away. Luckily I had something people liked and was able to create a buzz.


 
4.what flavor from your Hab Sauce brand is the biggest seller and why do you think that is?

Our Spicy Sweet Soy Sauce is our biggest seller. It’s just very unique and had won multiple awards year after year.

5.what have you enjoyed most about starting your own business?

I really enjoy seeing strangers post about how much they love the sauce and the messages I get from people who try it.

6.What are some qualities you need to be a great Entrepreneur?

You’ve got to be creative, self-motivated and curious.


 
7.Where do you see your business in 5 years

By then I will have hoped I’ve built a very strong brand and have put working systems in place for the brand to continue to be successful and grow.

8.How do you build a successful customer base when it comes to selling Hot Sauce?

I try to bring new flavors into the mix. I also try my best to communicate with anyone who reaches out. I pay a lot of attention of every batch of sauce I make and make sure when I cook it, it’s something I love and I want to eat. I don’t really make a sauce for anyone else but myself. It just helps that people have liked what I’ve been making.

9.How do you separate your brand from others?

That’s where the creativity comes into play. I work closely with my brother and other artists to have fun creating new ideas. Also, I do my best not to think too much about what other people are doing. I keep very busy and keep the projects fun.



10. What is the process of creating your sauce before its bottled up?

It’s a little different each time. Sometimes it’s just a idea that comes up and I out the ingredients together and it works out quick or in the first try. Other times I really have to make batch after batch to come up with the right recipe.

11.What goals are you still working towards achieving?

Larger production runs and distribution.

12,Who has been your greatest support throughout your journey as an entrepreneur?

my family and business partner.


13. What advice would you give to someone who would like to start a business selling their own Hot sauce brand?

take your time. Don’t quit your day job just yet.

14. What was the inspiration behind the name HAB?

It’s short for habanero. Its the pepper that I was making most of my sauces with at first.

15. What is your definition of success?

I think that’s something that changes for me all the time. I can’t totally relate it to making money anymore. Success is tricky. I’d rather just work on being happy. If I’m happy I must have been successful along the way.




























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview