The Elles Bailey Story & Interview

 


Edited By Silver GS

Elles Bailey, the smokey voices human dynamo who has powered her way to the forefront of the British blues and roots scene in recent years, has just unveiled her eagerly waited third album Shining in the Half Light". Crammed with vitarant orginals brought to life with her Ali and its another significant step forward in a career already finted with awards and adam generated by her two previous studio sets.


Credits:Adam Kennedy

Elles Bailey, the self-confessed valling stone Elles continues to do everything she can to call the road her home And touring for 2022 is looking bright this year , see Elles play headline festival sets as the length and breadth of the UK and into Europe, Opening for Van Mormon at Kew Gardens taking to the high seas to play the loe Bonamassa-Keeping the Blues alive sea Cruise, Joning Blues Legend Walter Trout on his UK Tour and jong Do McLean on his 50th anniversary American pie UK tour in Sept/Oct 2022 And it's not just about touring and making music. 

Miss Baley can also be heard every Saturday on Planet Rock from middey sharing her love of Rock and Americana.




A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Order Custom Quality Clothing from LS Prints!





Interview



1.How long have you been doing what your doing and how did you get started in the first place?

I’ve been a solo artist for about 10 years now and started releasing music about 7 years ago. It took a while to find my voice and what I wanted to say as a songwriter but I’d say my 2017 debut album Wildfire was really the start for me. That record changed my life. 

How did I get started…. I always knew that this was going to be my path, I fronted bands from a young age and started touring as soon as I left school. It’s been a long yes beautiful journey - but the stage is my home

2. What song has been the most personal to you and why?

Walk away from the Sunshine City EP is my most personal, heart on sleeve, brutally honest, heartbreaking moment. It was written with friend Tamara Stewart and I think one of the reasons why it’s so special to me is that she was there for me throughout the whole situation with her words of wisdom, 

then when I finally had the guts to write about it, she was on hand to help me tell the story. 

3.What excites you the most about the music making process and what discourages you the most?

I love a song emerging from nothing, to sit in a room and write and then think - a few hours ago this didn’t even exist … and then out of thin air and dreams it is suddenly here. But on the flip side - the blank sheet of paper and a silent room is ridiculously daunting!! 

I find the judgment in the music industry especially online quite discouraging at times…. But you gotta learn to ignore it… that’s a long term process ! 


Credits:John Bull

4.Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

I’m hugely inspired by the careers of Beth Hart and Imelda May…. If I can be on the a similar road as them, that would be incredible. But to just keep making music … and for people to come out to shows - that’s the dream isn’t it!?

5.How do you separate yourself from other artists?

This is an interesting one because I feel as an artist,  you are kinda a mismatch of all your influences entangled with your own personality and ideas. And that’s a beautiful. I don’t try an separate myself form other artists but I think if I’m always true to myself and honest in songwriting then that’s a good thing. 

6.Who has been your biggest support throughout your journey as an artist?

First and foremost - My husband and my family- I’m only on this journey because of their constant support and sacrifice. Musically - Joe Wilkins (guitar) who has shared the stage with me since the very early days of this project - he’s helped define my sound and shape me as an artist. Shout outs to My incredible live band (Jonny Henderson, Matthew Waer, Matthew Jones and Joe Wilkins) and to Steve Blackmon, Brad Nowell, Brian Banks and Dan Weller who have produced my albums. I’m forever grateful to them. I’m also very lucky to work with so many fabulous songwriters and musicians and have an amazing team around me! I have a great support network.


Credits:Alan Dunkley

7. How do you prepare mentally before each and every show?

Physically  - I make sure my voice is warmed up and I’m stretched - I jump around the stage and am not as limber as I used to be - so warming up is vital.

Mentally - I don’t really actually - maybe I should - but being on stage feels so natural that I don’t feel I need to prepare mentally. 

8. How do you find inspiration when it comes to writing a song?

Inspiration comes from anywhere and everywhere. It’s always there but sometimes it harder to grasp…. Joe and I are in the process of writing a very cool song at the moment and the melody & groove is there but I’m stuck on the lyrics… so I need to revisit that soon but I’m looking forward to the story emerging from the song on this one! 

9. If you can describe your fans in one word what would it be and why?

Friends - I call them my fan friends because I genuinely have the nicest fan base in the world and so many artists who tour with me say the same thing! I’m very lucky :)


Credits:Rob Blackham

10.If you can choose 1 dream collab, who would it be and why?

Man this is the hardest question but a collab with Mavis Staples and Bonnie Raitt would be the ultimate Bailey dream! Two of my hero’s who have pioneered and navigated their own way through the music business and paved a way for females like me to have a long term career in music .

11.What do you hope to accomplish in 2022?

This year has already been more than I could have ever imagined … a number 1 record, opening for legend Walter trout, headlining festivals across Europe and the UK , becoming a radio presenter on Planet Rock! Total pinch me moments! I’m so looking forward to the Joe Bonamassa Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea Cruise at the end of August and then touring with Don McLean throughout the UK in September. 

12. What was your inspiration behind your latest project "Shining in the half light?"

This album is about finding the silver linings when your whole world is turned upside down. Personally - its about getting to know who I am without the show, the stage and the splendour, unraveling the layers and being ok with them, and learning to love each and every version of myself. It has been about finding a new way to do things, and seeing the blessings I have right in front of me.


13.How would you like to be remembered at the end of your career?

I guess to just be remembered … the music lasts forever so I hope people continue to find it.

14. What has been a great challenge in your music career and how did you overcome it?

Ive never really talked about this but I’ve battled with voice confidence and imposter syndrome my whole career … I don’t do fancy vocal licks like most of my peers, and I often feel like I’m not good enough vocally. I go through phases of being ok and then bam it can hit, often on stage. But I just work through it and cover it with confidence ironically, and do my best to connect with the audience on a super personal level.



Listen to full album "Shining in the half light"

Shining of the half light (Full Album)







Follow The SoulRiffic For Music, News, Interviews & much more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview