The Woes Story & Interview

 



WOES is a 26 year old independent recording artist born in Chicago, IL. The boisterous rapper specializes in storytelling and strives to make the listener feel as though they are looking through a window into his world. Woes' unique tone and subject matter pull you in to the true vulgarity of his lyrics. Woes seeks to make the noise no one else will. 




"In Woes' debut record, you will hear him blend and morph the 'history' of rap as a genre entirely. He has a majority of his roots planted in old, sample based boom bap production (Kickstand, Pass It Off) while is also heavily influenced in new age jazz, and "trap" elements. (Fly On The Wall, 10 Deep) Early in the writing process, Woes teamed up with a handful of incredible producers from around the country including GoodBoy, Aaron Black & Bless 1." - FAKE SHORE DRIVE WOES EST. 1995


A D V E R T I S E M E N T





INTERVIEW

1. At what age did you know that you wanted to be an artist and how did you get started in the first place?


I remember being 12 running around my room listening to 'Parents Just Don't Understand' by Will Smith as a kid and listening to Will's raps and being like.. "I bet I can do this too."


2. Who has been your biggest support throughout your journey as an artist?


My mother and my grandmother have been the most supportive. I'd be lying if I said there weren't a few moments where they looked at me and thought, "what the fuck is this kid doing" but all in all they just wanted me to be happy with what I was doing and give it my all. My dad too - he didn't care as long as I gave something my all.

3.How do you prepare mentally before each and every show? 


I have to take a shit, piss, and not eat too much before because no matter how many times I rap in front of people I still feel like it's the first time.



4. What song of yours has been the most personal to you and why? 


Probably Grandkids & Pipes. I really like beats that are laid back enough for me to open up on. This shit without opening up is pointless. 


5.what do you like most about the music making process and what discourages you the most? 


It's a catch 22. There's no right and wrong - so you can make dope shit or garbage and people will feel a way about it regardless. This shit is all subjective.


6. Who are some of your biggest influences and why?


I look up to anybody who is themselves 100% of the time. Dave Chappelle, Jay-Z, Matty Matheson, Freddie Gibbs, Black Thought to name a few.



7.what are some things you have learned throughout your music career that has been very beneficial to your career as an artist?


don't sign shit you don't understand.


8.How did your name "Woes" come about? Any significance behind the name?


I remembered being in church as a kid and hearing everybody saying "woe to me, woe to me, woe to me" during communion.

9.Where do you see yourself in 5 years and what do you hope to accomplish? 


I better not still be broke.



10. How do you want to be remembered at the end of your career? 


I hope people look at me and say, "that guy did exactly what he wanted to do and didn't give a fuck."


11. What artists would you like to work with in the future and why?


whatever happens organically. i don't ever want to pay a mf to work with me i want that shit to happen naturally.


12.What was the inspiration behind your latest  song "Nissan?"


all sorts of shit. my partner, my cousin, nissans, my granny, all sorts of shit.




13.What advice would you give to someone looking to pursue a career in music?


practice your craft, and practice not giving a fuck. because being good at only one of those will only get you so far.


14. What has been one of the most toughest challenges throughout your career, and how did you overcome it?


continuing to do this shit; still struggling.

15. What are some of your goals you are looking forward to accomplish in 2023?


I want to drop consistently - every year. I want to release music I 100% believe in. I'm in Philly now, after working with Goodboy in Baltimore. I left with 10 tracks. Woke up in Philly, and didn't even hit the studio yet and Aaron Black produced 2 joints from his bed. Leaving for NYC tomorrow to go meet my other good homie and close collaborator Zach Aum. I just want to keep this momentum. I'm very grateful to be doing this shit with the homies. I wouldn't be anywhere without them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sebayt Story & Interview

The Purpose Story & Interview

The Will Villain Story & Interview